WELCOME TO AQUAPONICS ISLAND!
This is the centerpiece of your property that keeps the entire community talking. Consisting of several grow areas, six different waterfalls and multiple water statues inside a shimmering Koi pond, this is the world’s first “Aquaponics Island Design” featured in beautiful Ubud, Bali.
VISION & PURPOSE
There are two major purposes of this design:
- Arranging the necessary aquaponics elements in a manner that was non-traditional, yet highly efficient for a uniquely beautiful island concept.
- Construct a system that can be easily modified and accessible for educational purposes.
NATURAL ELEMENTS & MATERIALS
All materials and construction of the system reflect a non-conventional, custom Balinese tropical theme.
- Natural fish pond with 100+ colorful and vibrant Koi
- Natural Sump Tank
- Media Beds using lava rock
- Deep Water Culture (DWC) unit with Bamboo
- Vertical Bamboo Herbal Garden (NFT)
- Large integrated Swirl Filter
- Additional 3-Step Water Filter
DESIGN & PRODUCTION
For this unique system built in under 3 months, a central palm tree holds the vertical (NFT) bamboo garden for herbs. The intricacies of bio-geometry are applied in order to channel a circular motion of water flow, while integrated lighting ensures the system can’t be missed when the sun sets in the evening.
Overall, the system is about 9m (22 ft) in diameter and large enough to walk around or even inside the center of the system. This stunning sanctuary stands at about 3.5 feet tall, which is the perfect height for easy access to all elements of the system.
Implementation of aquaponics technology allows for this system to function on 90% less water than traditional agriculture. Using minimal power usage with one pump for the water and another small unit for aeration, the beauty of this centerpiece is equal to its efficiency.
In addition to growing all types of herbs, Aquaponics Island is ideal for producing tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, okra, spinach, basil, nutrient-rich kale and other leafy greens.
SYSTEM OUTPUTS (including but not limited to):
- Flowering Plants: Various types including exotics
- Fruits: Beans, Cantaloupe, Cucumber, Eggplant, Honeydew, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Watermelon
- Herbs: Basil, Chervil, Chives, Coriander, Marjoram, Mint, Oregano, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage, Sorrel Squash, Tarragon, Thyme
- Vegetables: Arugula, Asparagus, Broccoli, Celery, Dill, Endive, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Mache, Onion, Pak Choi, Peppers, Spears, Spinach, Watercress, Zucchini
Pyramids of Chi
Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
9m (22 ft.) diameter
Deep Water Culture
Nutrient Film Technique
GROW AREA SIZE
129 sq ft.
FISH POND SIZE